Anne Marie Cummings
With her ground-breaking, sleeper hit digital series, Conversations in LA, 2017 Daytime Emmy Award nominee Anne Marie Cummings didn’t just knock on Hollywood’s door and patiently wait for it to open. Instead, she kicked it down and took a seat at the head of the table inspiring other talented women filmmakers to pursue their craft on their terms. Cummings took a break from filming Season 2 to enjoy some Lattes With Leslie, and spilled her Six Celebrity Secrets…
1. Get Lost & Giggle! I’ll never forget the time I took a trip with a bunch of strangers – a Trek Through Tuscany. We met our guide in Florence and set off to Tuscany on a train. Once we reached the land of cypress trees, we walked from one small village to another. My roommate on the hike was this woman from Australia. We clicked like childhood friends click and would tell stories and laugh our heads off every single day. Whenever I meet someone who likes to laugh and play, someone who brings out the goofy side of me without judging me for being the weirdo that I often am, well…those people become instant friends!
2. Dance and Dance! When I lived in New York City I took salsa and swing dance classes every week at this popular dance studio in SoHo. And it didn’t stop there! On weekends I would go to the top of the World Trade Center to a place called, The Greatest Bar on Earth, and swing until the wee hours of the morning with a whole bunch of people who had their steps down to a T. Now that I live in Los Angeles, I sashay into dance clubs whenever I feel the need to get wild!
3. Make My Way Up! There was a time when I was obsessed with alpine hiking and to such a degree that I made a commitment to train to summit the 14,410 foot Mt. Ranier, just outside of Seattle, Washington. With five friends, expedition boots on, and a back-pack that weighed thirty pounds, we made it to Camp Muir at 10,000 by 6pm, set our tents up for food and rest, and then left at midnight for the top, reaching the summit by 8am. I had a twinge of altitude sickness, but the view was something I’ll never forget!
4. Wine and Dine! I’m single so when I have time…I like to go on dates. The best date is when the mystery man shows up with flowers (yep, I’m old fashioned in that regard), opens his car door for me, takes me out to a nice/casual place for dinner, makes suggestions from the menu, captures my attention with his unusual conversation, and when dinner is finished, suggests we get coffee, tea, or a cocktail at a neat spot (not into trendy places where people need to see and be seen), and if things are going really well, I love hitting a jazz club like Blue Whale, Baked Potato, or Seven Grand. The real test is if my date likes to be quite while the musicians play!
5. Escape with Poetry! While there’s nothing like diving into a chapter or two of a novel before falling asleep, one of my favorite things to do is read poetry. Emily Dickinson, Robert Frost, Pablo Neruda, Shel Silverstein (love to color his drawings too), Henry David Thoreau, and one of my very favorites is W.H. Auden’s poem, Tell Me the Truth About Love. For me, poetry often helps me express what’s going on inside, and often understand it. Poets aren’t poets for nothing!
6. Sing and Drive! And with the windows down, on the freeway, with a view of the Pacific. I started doing this when I got my first car, but that tradition kicked into full gear when I saw Tom Cruise sing “Free Fallin’” in the movie, Jerry Maguire. Today, whenever I drive around L.A., singing with my foot on the gas is a must. Some of my favorite songs to sing to these days are… “Something Just Like This,” by Coldplay; The Chainsmokers “Don’t Let Me Down” featuring Daya; and for some intense belting action, Florence and the Machine with “Over the Love.” But my taste in music is vast and stretches across the globe from classical to rap!
I lu-huv walking into a Papyrus card shop to peruse cards. I keep a whole bunch at home that I give out or mail to friends and family. If I really really like you, I’ll seal the card with gold, silver, or red wax and a stamp seal that has your initials!
Please check-out Season 1 of Conversations in LA at: http://conversationsinla.com/