Pageant tips for Panel Style judging
A few important tips for the interview portion of the competition. The interview competition is often 50% or more of your final score. Additionally, Interview scores are typically used as the tie breaker in many pageants.
- Find out which room the interview competition will be held. Go to the room and get comfortable. Even if you simply sit for a few minutes. This way, when you enter the room for the first time with the judges present, it will not really be your first time.
- One minute presentation in front of the panel of judges is your opportunity to share your story and control the direction of the interview.
- Some pageants systems will have the contestant behind a screen while she/he/they give their one minute pre-interview speech. Smile as you talk. It changes the quality of your voice. Practice this over and over and you will begin to notice the slight difference.
- Smile, smile and smile until it hurts.
- Always answer a judges question to the judge that asked the question. Continue answering the question addressing and scanning all the judges. Conclude the answer to the original judge who asked the question.